Friday 23 September 2011

Unfortunate Side Effects

I'm not the smartest person in the world. The mahna-mahna song from the muppet show is usually going through my head on a daily basis, driving me more insane than I already am. I am somehow lucky enough to have a kind of idiot-savance (I don't think that's a word, but it really illustrates my point beautifully, so I'm using it) when it comes to working with my hands. I can figure out how machines work, how to fix the plumbing, pretty much anything hands on I can do with relative ease. Things I don't take into account when I say this are: I have a rich background of DIY projects, grew up in a house that taught me to hang cabinets and lay floors because we lived in a victorian monstrosity that ate all free time with work, I've always been drawn in to tutorials and other interesting tidbits on how things work, and I genuinely like to attempt this kind of stuff. Because none of this ever flashes through my head before I answer, this leads to problems - I figure if I can see it and learn it or fix it then it can't really be that hard. And so, when someone asks me how to do something I know how to do I almost always reply with, "Oh, that's so easy!", which makes me look like a giant douchebag when they try and it isn't easy for them. This is a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment